Read Any Good Books Lately?

30017_bookskyline small

The best way to find out about a good book is from a recommendation from a friend or colleague.  Several people have suggested that we post reviews on books that we have enjoyed reading.  This could even be (as Mme Tawaji has suggested) from three different sources, LS students and/or Parents, Upper School Students, and Staff/Faculty.  Would you like to see book reviews on this blog and have the opportunity to contribute to discussions?

Please post a comment here and tell us what you think about this idea.

4 thoughts on “Read Any Good Books Lately?

1. I would love to hear what my colleagues are reading and how much they love the books! I always look for new suggestions. I would also love to hear what my classes are reading at home.

2. As a member of two book clubs, I would love to share information about books that we are reading that are recommended. The first book I am reading is The Reluctant Fundamentalist which is a thought provoking book with many interesting questions about religion, prejudice, love and cultural values. I highly recommend this and it is a fast read!

The second book I am reading is Beethoven’s Hair which chronicles the journey of a lock of Beethoven’s hair from his deathbed in Germany to Sweden during WWII to the United States in the last decade. It gives insight into the many people who were privileged to have this artifact. Any classical music lover or Beetthoven lover would enjoy this story. I loved this book!

Please let me know if any of you read either book I have recommended!

3. I am in the process of reading a great book titled, Exodus, by Leon Uris. I’m about half way through and love it so far. I began reading it in conjunction with a trip I recently took to Israel. The book is a story about a group of people who all play a role in the time immediately following the Holocaust, particularly the British response to so many displaced jewish survivors and the surviors’ attempts to enter the holy land. While it is historical fiction, the account is quite close to the actual history of the creation of a jewish state and the struggles of the people involved in this process.