Author Study N-2 Eric Carle

Eric Carle

ecshoulphoto

In Eric Carle’s own words from his blog:

“I was born in the U.S. and was raised in Germany. My background is in graphic design but since the late 1960’s when I illustrated Bill Martin Jr’s Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? I have been creating books for children. My illustrations are collages made with my own hand-painted tissue papers, a technique many children have replicated and enjoyed in their classrooms and at home.”

DSC00733DSC00740

These are the Eric Carle books we will be sharing in class this month-

330322_f260-1The Grouchy Ladybug, 1977 The Grouchy Ladybug is looking for a fight at every turn. It meets several different animals and tries to stand up to each of them. Children will be discussing kindness and getting along with others. The younger children will draw ladybugs & count spots.DSC00730DSC00731

Kindergarten and First grade children will be making class books depicting some of the animals the Grouchy Ladybug encountered. Second graders will be researching some of the Grouchy Ladybug’s new friends, answering questions about what they’ve learned about these animals.

7124138The Very Busy Spider, 1984 The Very Busy Spider spins a beautiful web. Children in our library classes will be re-telling this story and telling their own stories by sitting in a circle and passing a “web” of yarn back and forth. Each child will add a sentence to the story the friend before them began. Older children will have the chance to put these stories on paper.

9780140549270-1Draw Me a Star, 1992 Inspiring creativity in all children is one of my main goals as a teacher and a lover of everything creative. In this story Eric Carle recalls how his Grandmother taught him to make a star. Children in our classes will also be learning to make stars. Stars in the universe, like children in our classes, are all special and beautiful.

Please visit ericcarle.com for more information on Eric Carle’s many wonderful stories. There you will also find coloring pages, games, videos and more! Have Fun!

Mrs. Stevenson