Drumpets and T-gons and Penkeys, Oh My!

scranimalsThe Fourth Grade students have completed a unit on poetry appreciation.  After studying about the basic elements of poetry, the students enjoyed reading the poems of children’s poet laureate, Jack Prelutsky.  They adored his book Scranimals, which is a clever collection of imaginary creatures.  In the book, illustrator Peter Sis created great pictures of these new creatures, which are combinations of animals with fruits, vegetables or plants. The students spent a few class periods combining the characteristics and the names of different animals and objects and were inspired to create their own original drawings and poems. They are proud to present their creativity in this slide show:

7 thoughts on “Drumpets and T-gons and Penkeys, Oh My!

1. My animal is in this “book.” It’s called the Crabull. I saw all my friends’ crazy creations in this book! This website should have at least 15 comments, thanks to my classmates. o_o

2. I really enjoyed making an animal for the Scranimal project. My animal was the Octopuspider.

3. My animal is the Penkey. I like the Crabull which is Jack’s . I also liked Piranhapple .;) :).

4. I think that Scranimals was a great project that Mrs. Lorbert did with us. It was a lot of fun making up our own mixed up animals. My animal was the Elerine which is a mix of an elephant and a tangerine. I hope that next year’s fourth graders enjoy this project as much as I did!:D

5. I loved the Scranimals project– it was so much fun. I loved making the T-gon, my scranimal.